| Worship altar, Cham tower, Nha Trang |
We have the authority… to smile
Yesterday I returned to the Post Office, this time to pick up a parcel sent by my father. The drive went smoothly with less traffic (or was I imagining it?) and when we arrived to our destination, I handed my passport with an attitude of: "I already know the procedure, so let's get it over with". For some reason the Post Office ladies were smiley and the mafioso-like official was nowhere in sight. At the moment of payment of the customs fees (once again for a total of $1), the lady requesting the money started chatting with me saying how beautiful and young I was and asking me what brought me to Vietnam. The process was smooth and uneventful, and in no time we were out in the car again, package in hand and a smile of satisfaction.
Anything can be done, and quickly
I had a couple of letters and a parcel I've been wanting to post for ages, but because of my fear (imaginary or not) of the Post Office, I'd been putting it off. On our way back to work from the parcel pick-up, the driver kindly volunteered to accompany me to the Central Post Office to show me the procedure. There were about 6 ladies behind the counter, all shyly welcoming me. They inspected the things I wanted to send and asked me to fill out some forms for customs. I explained that I didn't have a box, so one of the younger ones took my stuff and walked off into a corner. She carefully wrapped my merchandise in bubble wrap, then pulled out a large piece of old cardboard, flipped it to the clean side and began cutting. Her movements were swift and determined and after a few cuts and folds, she had skilfully made a beautiful box ready for delivery! She wrapped it in paper and asked me to write the address. I was impressed and speechless: the speed at which everything was done greatly exceeded my expectations. Fifteen minutes later we were back in the car, singing old 80s tunes on the way to work.
Who doesn’t have a brain has good people
You should never be in a hurry to receive a package from abroad as it can take anywhere from 1 to 2 months, so you can imagine what was going through my head when I realized, on the plane ride back to Hanoi, that I had forgotten my coat at the Hotel in Nha Trang: adios coat! I thought. I still gave it a shot and called the Hotel as soon we landed. The young man at the reception found it hanging neatly in the closet and requested that I call the next morning to discuss mailing details.
The next day, Monday morning, I gave them my address and they instructed me to deposit 64,000 Vietnamese Dong (about $3,2) in their account for postage. I prayed it wouldn't get lost in outer space but, to my surprise, Wednesday morning I spotted something bulging out of my office mailbox. I pulled it out and simply couldn’t believe it: it was my coat! In less then 2 days I had received the package!
Flip the coin
| Street vendors, Nha Trang |
No comments:
Post a Comment