During my first week, friends and acquaintances dropped the taboo question of “any problems, ehm, you know, with your stomach?” or “have your frequently been visiting the restroom?” To their disappointed relief, I confessed that my problem was not going too often, but quite the opposite. I thought it was a positive sign: I knew I could afford to eat in the street without worrying about uncomfortable consequences.
| The soup |
My vision degraded. I barely made it to the office. I was officially worried. Most people were not yet present in the office after lunch, and I didn’t know whom to call. I started feeling nauseous and was afraid that it was something graver than a simple malaise. I called my boss’ wife who always knows how to behave in extraordinary situations. She expressed her concern and hinted at the soup being the culprit, she called it MSG… monosodium glutamate. Monosodium glutamate! I knew what that was and was aware that Asian countries are its biggest fan, but I didn’t think that I could have such a violent reaction to something so insignificant! As soon as my boss to returned from lunch, he made me get in a cab and directed me to the nearest clinic.
The drive to the clinic was critical. I couldn’t see from my right eye anymore, my head started to ache and I thought of asking the driver to stop a number of times as the nausea would come and go. At the clinic everything was clarified. I most likely ate a soup with an exceptionally high concentration of MSG. The MSG triggered the onset of a migraine causing the blood vessels to contract; the lower blood flow to the eyes instigating the strobe light effect.
The doctor gave me a heavy migraine drug and instructed me to lie down. Fifteen minutes later, I rose and my vision was reestablished with only a residual headache clinging on.
| MSG in both the noodles and the soup, no reference to amount |
For more information on MSG, please look at the following links:
your mom is really sensitive to msg too --a good thing to avoid.
ReplyDeleteVraiment pas cool cette histoire. J'espère que tu as été bien entourée pour retrouver tes esprits.
ReplyDeleteGros bisous (je ne t'oublie pas, je t'écris un mail très vite).