It’s incredible how easily we lose track of time and how naturally we adapt to a new routine: it’s only a week since my arrival and I feel like it’s been ages! It’s almost too late now to start talking about my first day in Hanoi, but I feel like I must dedicate at least a post to this decisive moment.
The first thing I had to do on Monday morning was present myself at the United Nations Volunteer’s (UNV) office for a briefing on basic administrative and security issues. After the briefing, I was requested to go to the bank and open a local Vietnamese bank account.
Although the bank is physically very near to the UNV office, the infamous Vietnamese driving immediately created a crevasse between me and my destination. You look at the street and think to yourself “now, how do I cross?” At first sight it can be a source of anxiety: you look left, and then right; left then right again; left… and all you see is an almost homogeneous flow of cars, motorbikes and bicycles; you start to doubt if you’ll ever make it to the other side! Instantly something as menial as crossing a street becomes an excruciating task and you wonder if you should even do it at all. “Maybe I could go to the bank some other day?”
I then recalled a friend’s wise advice: “just cross slowly while maintaining a regular pace, you’ll see how the traffic avoids you”. But did I really want to play Moses on my first day in the country? I looked around and observed. Indeed, people were crossing with a calm gaze, as if they were out in a prairie picking wild flowers. They just crossed with a carefree stride, undisturbed by the honking and swerving of motor vehicles around them. Incredible.
Suddenly, my feet started to take the lead, and I followed. I didn’t think twice, just went ahead exclusively thinking of my final target. The muscles on my face relaxed, my heartbeat slowed to its resting pace and a slight grin marked my face. I was on the other side.

it looks like Leninsky Prospket feat Vietnam!
ReplyDeleteany pics of it?
poka
Hi Viktoria, it's Piper. I'm so happy to hear you made it ok and that you are writing a blog! I look forward to reading your posts over the next year. Crossing streets in Hanoi is indeed a task, but I'm glad you made the first step. It will get easier. Also, when you're feeling comfortable take a motorcycle taxi some place (within the city, of course)...truly exhilarating! Email Stan and Nga if you need anything. Take care, enjoy SE Asia, and hope to talk to you soon!
ReplyDeleteAh, ça me rappelle mon 1er jour au Caire où j'ai mis un bon moment avant de me décider à traverser une grosse avenue. Après une grande hésitation, je me suis calée sur les autres personnes qui traversaient pour prendre leur rythme. Et hop, ça a marché. :o)
ReplyDeleteBravo pour ton blog, il est super, je vais le suivre attentivement.
Bisous.